Honey Whole Wheat Bread
This bread is perfect for every breakfast with butter, honey or the best is with
home made peanut butter.
3 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
3 tablespoons honey
2 packets active dry yeast
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
4 cups whole-wheat flour This ratio of bread flour to whole wheat flour and wheat germ can be varied depending on your taste as long as it adds to 8 cups
1 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons sea salt
Olive oil, for bowls, plastic wrap, and pans
1. Combine warm water, honey, and yeast in a large liquid-measuring cup. Stir until dissolved. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
Be sure to sniff this as it is delightful.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups of the bread flour, all the flour, all the wheat germ, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, gradually drawing in the flour until well combined
or your arm falls off.
3. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead in the remaining 1/2 cup bread flour a little at a time until dough is smooth and elastic, 10 to 15 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Transfer to a warm place, and let rise to double its original size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400° with rack in center. Brush two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with
olive oil. Remove the plastic wrap from the dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and punch down
but do not kill it. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Flatten one piece of dough into an oval, and roll up lengthwise. Place the roll, seam side down, into a prepared pan. Repeat process with second piece. Cover with oiled plastic wrap. Place the loaves in a warm place, and let rise again until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
5. Bake until deep golden brown, 30 to 60 minutes depending on the quality
of your stove (the loaves will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom). Transfer pans to a rack, and let cool 5 minutes. Invert the loaves onto the rack to cool
slightly then do not hesitate to slice many pieces and eat warm home made
bread. This is also one of these food items that quietly stuffing your
mouth with the whole loaf is an acceptable practice and we leave you with a
smile on your face.